The law and your rights
The law and your rights
Labour standards. Labour standards are the work-related rules to which every employee and employer is subject. However, they do not apply to people who go to other people's homes to take care of children or the sick, handicapped, or elderly. Once you turn 14, you are considered an adult in matters related to employment.

Age-related work restrictions. If you are younger than 14, you need written authorization from your parents to work, and an employer cannot have you work at night or during school hours.

Social insurance number. To work, you need a social insurance number (SIN), which you can obtain from a Service Canada centre. There is a danger in revealing your social insurance number to an employer before being hired, as it contains much personal information about you.

Training and uniforms.
Employers must always pay for training. If you are being paid minimum wage or if there is a logo on the clothing, you do not have to pay for your uniform.

Employment insurance. Employment insurance is governmental financial aide that allows a person having lost their job or completed a contract to continue to receive a portion of their salary. For information about eligibility, visit the Canada Benefits site or a local employment centre.

Unions. Unions are organizations whose objective is to defend workers and ensure that their rights are respected. Unions also verify that you enjoy the same rights and working conditions as other employees.

Occupational health and safety. You have the right to work without putting your health in danger. Furthermore, your employer cannot fire you because you have had a work accident. If you have a work accident, contact the Commission de la santé et de la sécurité du travail (CSST). The first thing to do if you are injured at work is to consult a doctor and tell them that your injury occurred at work. The doctor may then ask you to complete a form that you will subsequently submit to the CSST with your request.

Termination. If you are fired, your employer must provide you with a separation slip, unless you have worked fewer than three continuous months at the company, have committed a serious fault, or have completed a fixed-term contract. This written separation slip will be required when requesting employment insurance.

For more information, visit the labour standards site.
express yourself

What are my strengths?

Thank you for your vote.

related sites